Living in New England, we are blessed with so many fabulous road trip destinations located just a short drive away. The problem, at least in the winter, is that these destinations typically get lots of snow, making them a little difficult to access in the snowy winter weather. As you can see from the photo above, my Prius, a car that I absolutely love owning and driving, is really no match for the Northeast winter.
One winter family road trip I’d love to do is to Quebec City. We’ve visited in the summer before, but I feel less confident doing the almost 7 hour drive in my car in the winter. But the Winter Carnival and the Ice Hotel look so beautiful and fun, so I’ve definitely got Quebec City in the winter on my bucket list.
Enterprise recently conducted a survey about family road trips. Some of the results were surprising to me. Here are a few of them:
- 66% of Americans prefer a one-day or weekend road trip versus a one-week road trip
- 57% would drive up to 300 miles each way for a weekend trip
- 75% prefer to drive to their destination because of the freedom it allows them
- Families in the West of the US are three times more likely to take a trip for outdoor recreation
- Families in the South are two times more likely to involve family members in road trip decision making
- Families in the Northeast take the fewest number of days for leisure trips
- Families in the Midwest are willing to drive the farthest to their destination
For anyone who’d prefer not drive their car on a family road trip, one option is to rent a car. We’ve done that before, when we have taken my mother-in-law on a vacation with us (my husband drives a Prius as well, so we don’t have room for 3 adults and 2 kids). It’s also a great way to use a car that’s better in winter for your road trip. But renting a car for a road trip isn’t just reserved for those with smaller vehicles. It’s also a great way to save on wear and tear of your own vehicle. Finding a vehicle to rent is easy, regardless of where you live – you don’t have to travel to the airport! Enterprise Rent-a-Car offers 5,500 neighborhood and airport branch offices located within 15 miles of 90% of the US population. To learn more, visit the Enterprise website.
Win it! Two winners will each receive a $100 Mastercard gift card. Enter via the Rafflecopter and be sure to leave a comment below letting me know where you’d like to go on your next family road trip. US winners only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Get Our 7 Travel Tips
Subscribe to get 7 essential family travel tips and our weekly newsletter filled with tips, tricks, and info for family travelers.