There are great places to which to travel, but sometimes you need great things to help you get there and enjoy your stay too. Nothing is more essential than when you are traveling with a baby or toddlers! As a traveling Mom with two very young children, I have found some products that are on my must-travel-with list, and I wanted to share them with you in the hope that your next vacation with a baby on board is a bit more smooth sailing.
Parent Travel Essentials for Babies and Toddlers
1. Between buses and cars, planes and subways, it can be a transportation obstacle course in getting to your final vacation destination. We have lost many pacifiers in our wake only to find ourselves scouring the local mart hoping (praying) they have the right pacifier. But HITCH, Boon’s innovative pacifier tether, keeps pacifiers from entering another dimension. HITCH keeps pacifiers off the floor and within your child’s reach at all times. Plus, the flexible ring attaches to both button and ring pacifiers. (Crisis averted.) MSRP: $7.49, Amazon.com
2. Another must have are Roost Child Safety Devices like cabinet locks, cord winders and corner protectors. When you arrive at a time share or motel, deftly and swifty child proof cabinets and drawers throughout the space. With its rubber materials, and the sleek, no installation design, it barely takes up space in your overnight bag. MSRP: $9-16, Diapers.com.
3. My favorite vacation must have is the Dohm White Noise Machine. Whether it is a bickering family in the room next door or the fire station across the street from your hotel (or in my recent travels, an emergency room) block the sounds of sirens and snoring. It also is key when the family is sleeping in one big room, which is not typically the case at home. Now your toddler won’t complain about Daddy’s wheezing. MSRP: $60, available at Amazon.com.
4. Similar to the above feat in getting from one place to another, or dealing with the jungle of stroller parking in various theme parks, considering ditching the stroller. Leave it in the rental car or check it with your luggage before security, and baby wear your baby. In enables you to take the escalator, not have to manuver the stroller in the airplane bathroom, or search for your stroller among hundreds of others. One wrap to note is the JJ Cole Collections Agility Stretch Carrier. It has an unique back panel design that distributes baby’s weight evenly with multiple secure and comfortable carrying positions up to 35 pounds. It comes in Small to Extra Large. MSRP: $39.99, available at Babies R Us. If you are looking for a more structured carrier, an alternative from the same line is the JJ Cole Medley Carrier retailing at $69.99.
5. Nothing frustrates me more than trying to give my baby a bath in a hotel bathroom. I am used to an infant tub at home but they aren’t exactly staples in a hotel, resulting in a screaming baby and frustrated (and soaking wet) parents. So pick up a Boon NAKED 2-position Collapsible Baby Bathtub. Recline it, expand it, drain it, collapse it and hang it up to dry. Good for babies to toddlers. Easily packable to boot. MSRP: $69.99, available at Buy Buy Baby.
6. I hate to break it to you, but if your child is prone to injury at home, they aren’t going to develop grace on the family vacation. So pack The First Years American Red Cross On-The-Go First Aid Kit. It has a portable-sized clear case, with bandages, antibiotic ointment, scissors, tweezers, instant cold pack, gauze pads, hand sanitizer, and more. It is all in small sizes making it easy to get through security. Pack it in your beach bag, keep in the car or put it in your camping bag! MSRP: $19.99, available at Walmart.
What are your favorite vacation essentials when traveling with babies and toddlers?
Get Our 7 Travel Tips
Subscribe to get 7 essential family travel tips and our weekly newsletter filled with tips, tricks, and info for family travelers.