Family vacations are not cheap. Between the airline tickets (that are usually not discounted for children), the attraction tickets, and the high costs associated with traveling during school vacations (aka when everyone else is traveling), you’ll definitely need to budget. However, there are some opportunities where you can save money and get some family vacation deals.
FamilyTravelMagazine.com is providing this information for your convenience and is not responsible for changes, typos, or errors. Please read the details of each deal on the company’s own website before booking.
Here are some current deals:
- Colonial Williamsburg Hotels, Virginia: Colonial Williamsburg’s Spring Getaway package, available all at Colonial Williamsburg hotels including the Colonial Houses, Williamsburg Lodge, Griffin Hotel and Williamsburg Woodlands Hotel and Suites. Offering savings of up to 10%, the package includes three nights’ accommodations, daily breakfast and four Spring Bounce Tickets (two adult and two for children ages 6-12), which allows guests to “bounce” from century to century with unlimited admission to both Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens Williamsburg (located within 5 miles of Colonial Williamsburg). Tickets, reservations and additional information are available at Colonial Williamsburg ticketing locations, online at colonialwilliamsburg.com/spring-break
- Madeira Island and Azores Airlines – Warmed by sun and ocean breezes, Madeira is the pearl of Atlantic with a nearly perfect climate—warm and clear in winter with temperature in the mid 70s. Madeira Island is some 750 miles southwest of Lisbon off the coast of Africa. Red volcanic cliffs that rise dramatically from the sea characterize Madeira’s fascinating landscape. And now a round trip airfare from Boston is just $568, including all taxes and fees. This Azores Airlines special fare is on sale now from February 16 to the 28, 2017. Promotion is valid for travel between March 27 and June 19, 2017. For more information about booking flights visit http://www.azoresairlines.pt or call 800-762-9995.
- The Colonnade Hotel, Boston: Frosty Fridays: The two-night weekend deal lets guests pay just the outside temperature for Friday night and a special rate of $289 for Saturday! Running now through March 29, 2017, the package includes: Overnight accommodations at the Boston Back Bay hotel, Choice of: admission and ice skating rentals for four at Boston Common Frog Pond OR tickets for Old Town Trolley Tour, “Make your own” hot chocolate bar with lots of fixings, Complimentary overnight parking, and a variety of connecting room options are available.
- The Colonnade Hotel, Boston: February Vacation Week, 2/16-2/28– For all 2 night stays, the first night will be only the temperature outside at 5pm.
- LimoLiner’s: ‘Take Two in February’ – Whether readers travel with their main squeeze or tiny tyke, fares are 2-for-1 (up to $99 in savings) when they take high-end motor coach LimoLiner between Boston’s Back Bay and Midtown Manhattan. Those traveling over Valentine’s Day weekend, Feb. 11 – 14, will also receive sweThe Colonnade Hotel, Bostonet holiday treats! Enter ‘TakeTwo2017’ promo code in the Discount Code box on LimoLiner main page. Book and travel by February 28, 2017. Every trip offers seat-side attendant service, complimentary hot meals and drinks (even wine after 6pm), reclining leather seats featuring extended legroom, onboard entertainment & Wi-Fi.
- Marriott Caribbean and Latin America Resorts invites travelers to de-thaw this spring season at 27 warm-weather resorts offering up to 25% savings. As part of the “More is Less” sale promotion, the participating properties increase savings the longer you stay (minimum stay requirements vary per property). The booking window is open now through May 31, 2017 for travel through Dec. 22, 2017. Must use promotional code D3Q. Members of Marriott Rewards® always receive the lowest rates when booking direct on Marriott.com, saving at least two percent on weekdays and up to five percent on weekends. Participating resorts span idyllic destinations including Aruba, the Bahamas, Cancun, Costa Rica,Grand Cayman, Los Cabos, Mexico City, Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Thomas and more. Visit http://deals.marriott.com/more-is- less-in- caribbean-and- latin-america to book the offer and to review all terms and conditions.
- Destination Hotels is offering a special promotion for travelers to experience one of the collection’s luxury and upscale independent hotels, resorts or residences across the United States. Offering both traditional and transformational destinations, guests will be astonished by the array of experiences crafted for every taste and temperament. With urban explorations in Miami or Seattle, epic adventures on the Maine or Pacific Coast, spa escapes in the Texan Hill Country or world-class golf in the Carolina Low Country, these vacations also include valuable “welcome credits” based on the reservation length. ‘When Escape Is Your Destination’ Promotion is bookable from February 15-April 15, 2017 and valid for stays March 1- April 30, 2017: 2-night stay = $50 in Welcome Credits, 3-night stay = $100 in Welcome Credits, 4-night stay = $200 in Welcome Credits, 5-night stay = $300 in Welcome Credits. From ocean to city, mountain to desert, Destination Hotels’ welcome credits gives guests a chance to explore and savor more on their next Destination.
- Generations Riviera Maya, Mexico: Grandparents Stay Free promotion, which invites grandparents to stay and enjoy the Gourmet Inclusive Experience complimentary when traveling with their families this year. When guests book a two-bedroom suite with Grandparents Stay Free they earn an additional complimentary one-bedroom suite – the largest suites in the destination at 1,200 square feet, all of which are oceanfront with unlimited butler service and swim up infinity suites from the first to fourth floors. Exclusions apply. See website for full details.
- Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort, Florida: “I Gotta Go Where It’s Warm” winter package. Valid on minimum two-night stays booked now through April 30, the package offers winter-weary travelers a complimentary room upgrade, two welcome drinks, two refillable signature Margaritaville® Booze in the Blender souvenir cups, and a $50 resort credit that can be used towards on-site recreational activities. Exclusions apply. See website for full details.
Comfort Suites Paradise Island, Bahamas: Kids Stay, Play and Eat Free Offer – Available to book through March 31, 2017. This season, Comfort Suites Paradise Island is making it easier than ever for families to visit the tropical destination with its ‘Kids Stay, Play and Eat Free’ offer. The deal allows for families with up to two children under the age of 12 to stay with their parents for free, as well as eat at Crusoe’s restaurant for every meal complimentary. Conveniently located just steps away from the kid-friendly Atlantis, Paradise Island, Comfort Suites guests receive complimentary access to Atlantis’s Aquaventure and other amenities, with signing privileges at all restaurants. Starting rates are $204 per room per night. More information: Kids Stay, Play and Eat Free Offer
Sunrise Beach Club & Villas, Bahamas: Fourth Night Free! Available to book through March 31, 2017. Travelers looking to escape the cold this winter at a discount can book at Sunrise Beach Club & Villas, who is currently offering a fourth night complimentary when guests book a stay of three nights. Rooms range from one-bedroom suites to five-bedroom villas. Starting rates before the discount is applied are $237 per room, per night. More information: Fourth Night Free!
One&Only Ocean Club, Bahamas: Advance Purchase Save up to 15 Percent – Available to book through December 16, 2017. Upon its reopening on February 14, 2017, One&Only Ocean Club is offering guests up to 15 percent off on travel now through December 18, 2017. The resort is located on 35 acres, featuring Versailles-inspired terraced gardens with European statuary, a 12th-century Augustinian cloister shipped piece by piece from France, a 125-foot-long, infinity-edge pool and beautiful ocean views. Rates start at $689 per room, per night. More Information: Advance Purchase Save up to 15
British Colonial Hilton Nassau, Bahamas: Fourth Night Free in Paradise – Available to book through December 31, 2017.The British Colonial Hilton, situated conveniently on the only private beach in downtown Nassau, is offering a fourth night free for guests who book three nights at the hotel. The hotel is located on the site of Old Fort Nassau—and is both a representation of the Island’s past and present day personality. Rates start at $191 per room, per night. More information: Fourth Night Free in Paradise!
- Innisbrook Golf & Spa Resort, Florida: Nestled on 900 beautifully wooded acres just a quick trip from Tampa Florida, Innisbrook is a premier golf and tennis resort designed in perfect harmony with the nature. Accommodations include gorgeous guest rooms, spacious suites, six pools including winding waterslides, water volleyball, and complimentary transportation to the award-winning Caladesi Island ferry and Honeymoon Island Beach. Current deals include: Prepay and Save, Stay 3 or More and Save, Florida Resident Offer, and the Dolphin Tale Getaway. View site for full details on all deals.
- Reunion Resort Orlando, Florida: Reunion Resort features 360 resort accommodations including luxury condominiums, private villas and vacation homes surrounded by 2,300 acres of lush landscape. The resort also features elegantly appointed meeting space, a full-service boutique spa, multiple pools, slides, water playgrounds and a 1,000-foot lazy river. The resort’s hip restaurant called Eleven features a rooftop pool and nightly views of the fireworks from nearby Walt Disney World. Current deals include: Family Free-dom Package. View site for full details on all deals.
- Hammock Beach Resort, Palm Coast, Florida: The AAA Four Diamond-rated Hammock Beach Resort features over 300 accommodations, including a 12-story tower of luxury suites. It is famed for its two spectacular golf courses, a multi-level water and swim pavilion, indoor atrium pool, spa and fitness center, casual and fine dining restaurants, and oceanfront meeting and function space. Current deals include: Prepay and Save and more. View site for full details on all deals.
Tips for getting deals on family vacations
- Some hotels offer special packages that include attraction tickets, parking, and upgraded rooms. If you plan to use all of the components of the package, it’s likely to be a good deal – but remember to price everything out individually too. If you aren’t going to use something, the whole package may be more expensive than just buying separately.
- You can also get on the mailing list of group buying sites like Groupon.com that offer getaway flash deals, but remember to check the fine print, because you’ll often see blackout dates and other restrictions. These are often best for last minute trips.
- Don’t forget about frequent flier miles, as well as airline reward points (like American Express Membership Reward points). Be strategic with using them, and make sure you are getting the most for your points.
- For flights, check out our tips for getting the best price on your airfare. Tools like HipMunk, Kayak, and Yapta can be helpful to compare rates and decide if it’s time to buy. Flying Saturday to Saturday is often the most expensive, especially during school vacations.
- If you belong to AAA or another club, see if you can get a special rate on your hotel and/or attraction tickets. Employers often offer discounted tickets too – so ask around at work to see if you can get a great deal.
Get Our Free eBook
Subscribe to get our complimentary eBook with tips, tricks, and info for family travelers.