Planning a family road trip this summer? Here are 5 steps to follow before you leave to make sure your trip is perfect.
- Look up directions in advance. Do not exclusively trust your GPS. I once traveled to the Adirondacks using only my GPS to find out that our 4 1/2 hour trip included a ferry ride that we were absolutely not prepared to take. Print out directions and follow along with a map, if you can.
- Get your car checked out prior to your trip. Make sure your tires are fully inflated (you’ll get better gas mileage), and ensure there’s nothing wrong with your car. Also get your oil and filters changed if necessary.
- Pack snacks for the kids. This probably sounds like a given, but usually kids get hungry about ten seconds after you pull out of your driveway. Packing healthy snacks is also essential, since road trip food is often unhealthy.
- Bring games and electronic devices. Kids also get bored about ten seconds after you pull out of your driveway. I don’t worry about screen time when we are on the road – it keeps the kids occupied and distracted.
- Let the kids plan along! If you’ve got a long trip, let the kids make decisions on where to stop, where to eat, and what to do along the way. Pick up pamphlets at rest steps to come up with ideas on activities.
What road trip ideas do you have?
Photo credit: -Patxi Izkue- on Flickr